This video takes an in depth look on the Business Activity Window.
The information printed below replaces the handout mentioned in video.
One stop shop for any activity in your business that you would like to record, track, share among a team, assign primary responsibility for completion and maintain a history for future reference. There are no constraints on what the list of business activities you can track. Examples of Business Activities:
- Customer Service
- Information requests
- Lost shipments
- Technical questions
- Work Order and Service Scheduling
- Return Merchandise (RMA)
- Sales Leads
- Vendor Negotiations
- Inbound/Overseas Shipment Tracking
- Product Related Issues
Other Business Activity Modules
- Activity Billing Wizard - Designed to help you efficiently track and bill time or materials for services that you are tracking as Business Activities
- service Scheduling - Designed to schedule Business Activities and organize employee time
Business Activity Window
Business Activities can be found on the menu item Activities > Business Activity or by using the Activity shortcut from the main toolbar. The Business Activity window is used to create and update information related to any process you are tracking in the system.
- Activities are automatically assigned an Activity ID but the format of this ID can be customized using prefixes and suffixes.
- Types are used to define the process i.e. sales lead, RMA, etc. This field drives all the code, status, priority, etc options for the activity.
- Code is used to further define or categorize the activity.
- Resolution is used to record the outcome or how the activity was resolved.
- Assigned To is used to show responsibility or ownership of the activity.
- Status is used to control where the activity is in the process. Status will also close an activity.
- Priority is used to control the importance or order in which the activity is worked. This field can control the due date in number of hours.
- Assign Due date and other date options to track the activity.
- All drop down lists such as Status, Priority, Codes, etc. are defined in the Configuration Manager – Business Activity Section.
- Reference and Reference 2 are user defined text fields. They can also be used in Business Activity Look Up window.
- Description is used for a brief explanation of the issue. This explanation should be 8-10 words maximum. This description is displayed in various windows throughout the program and should provide a concise description.
- Discussion is used for a more detailed account of the issue.
- Resolution is used to note the conclusion or outcome of the issue.
- Related Items can be used to add contact information to the activity if a customer record does not exist.
- Other items may also be attached to the activity such as customers, products, other business activities, etc. Select the button for a complete list of items that can be linked.
Available in various windows throughout the system, including Business Activities, to allow users to record information and communicate with other users.
- Add notes to any activity on the Notes tab. For all other windows, you must be in Edit mode to add notes. Notes are centralized for other users.
- Add Assigned and Followup information to a note to create a Business Alert for any user. Alerts are added to the Reminders tab of the Business Alerts window.
- Completed notes are checked off and removed from reminder list.
- Double-click on any note on the Business Alerts window to open the window, from which it originated.
This tab is used to send emails related to the activity.
- A copy of all emails sent will be stored with the activity for reference.
- Emails from the message pane of Outlook and Outlook Express can be dragged and dropped into this tab, you must be in Edit mode.
- Use the Email tab to attach documents.
The Time tab is used to record time spent related to the activity. (Only available with the Service Billing add-on module.)
The Material tab is used to record items used while working on the activity. (Only available with the Service Billing add-on module.)
The Log tab is used to track changes to the activity.
Business Activity Review List
The Business Activity Review List is used to track business activities that have been entered into the system.
- Use filters to control the data displayed. You can even use multiple filters at one time. For example, see activities of a particular type assigned to a particular person or activities of a particular type due on a particular date.
- Look for is used to search for text strings in the description or other text fields displayed on this screen.
- The grid displays a subset of information from an activity. Open any activity by double-clicking on a row in the grid.
- Data grid column information can be grouped by dragging a column header to the area designated above the data grid. Drag columns back to ungroup.
- Columns can be removed from the data grid to only show the information the user needs. Click the Columns button; the Field Choose window opens; drag unwanted columns into this window. Drag columns back to show specific column information again.
- Sort the grid by clicking on any column header. You can apply a secondary sort by holding the SHIFT key and clicking on another column header.
- Print grid data by right-clicking within the grid. Filter criteria will also print.
Related Activity Use
Activities can be created for customer related issues such as service requests, RMA’s, shipment or billing issues, etc.
- Use the Create new transaction dropdown menu from the Customer
- Information window.
- See all activities for a customer on the Customer > Activities tab.
- Double-click on any row of the grid to open the activity.
- Add customer in Related Items section of the Business Activity window. You can search for activities using the Customer name.
In addition to the customer, activities can also be created and linked from the following screens to keep a record of any related issues.
- Sales Order
- Sales Quote
- Credit Memo
- Purchase Order