Create and assign a credit card method in Acctivate, in Configuration Manager, under the Sales Order > Payment Method section. Set up security options under Users in Configuration Manager. Enable security options in QuickBooks.
Starting in Acctivate Version 10.3sp7, please refer to our Intuit Payments processing integration guide for Credit Card processing with QuickBooks.
Quickbooks Merchant Service users can process credit cards directly in Acctivate. This feature is a fantastic time-saver that is designed to save time and improve accuracy over other methods of credit card processing.
- Acctivate allows you to enter and process credit cards without QuickBooks.
- If the credit card has been placed on file in Quickbooks as the preferred payment method, it will automatically be presented during invoice release in Acctivate.
- Processing credit cards through Acctivate does not give you the ability to authorize the payment at the time of the order. Payments are processed in QuickBooks after the invoice has been synced over from Acctivate.
- Currently, there is no ability to swipe a credit card (via a magnetic credit card reader). All credit cards must be entered into the proper fields in either the order or the release for invoice window.
Configuring Credit Card Processing in Acctivate:
1. Create and assign a credit card payment method
The Payment Method list is maintained in QuickBooks. If you do not already have a credit card payment method (Visa, MasterCard, etc.), you will need to create one in QuickBooks and update Acctivate by running a synchronization. You can have multiple credit card payment methods, such as one for each credit card company, or a single, general purpose payment method to account for all credit card purchases. In this example, we'll set up one blanket payment method for all credit cards.
- In QuickBooks, go to Lists > Customer & Vendor Profile Lists > Payment Method List. This will open the Payment Method List window.
- In the Payment Method List window, click Payment Method > New. Enter the name for the new payment method in the new window, and select a payment type, then click OK.
- Run a sync with Acctivate to update the changes made in QuickBooks.
After the sync completes, switch back to Acctivate:
- Go to File > Configuration Manager > Sales Order > Payment Method.
- Locate the new payment method added in QuickBooks from the steps above, then click Edit and check the checkbox labeled "Credit Card". This will specify the new payment method to be a credit card type.
You may now use this payment method when invoicing orders in Acctivate.
2. Configure the Merchant Service Connection
- In Acctivate, click go to File>Configuration Management> Services> Credit Card Processing.
- In the Configure For menu, choose QuickBooks Merchant Services and click OK.
- The Configure QB Merchant Service Connection window will appear.
- Look in the Connection Ticket field in the bottom-center of the window.
- If the field has a ticket (a QuickBooks generated code) then it’s likely that this process has already been completed.
- If the field is empty click the Subscribe button.
- The Subscribe button will launch your internet browser and a page from the QuickBooks Merchant Service website will load.
- Read this page and click Proceed to Login Page.
- Enter your existing QuickBooks Merchant Service E-mail and Password, which you should already have.
- Once you have logged in, the Connection Setup page opens with a subheading of “How does a connection work?”.
- Read through this page and click Create a connection when ready.
- Next you may be prompted about login security.
- If prompted, you must select NO in order to allow credit cards to be processed by Acctivate.
- Make your selection and click Continue.
- A pop-up window may appear. Read this information and click OK.
- Acctivate already encrypts the session ticket in the Acctivate database and it also provides you with other safeguards such a password protected user logins.
- This will be followed-up by the Setup Complete window.
- Inside of this window is connection ticket that you must copy to your clipboard so that it may be pasted into Acctivate. Click the Copy to Clipboard button.
- The Connection Setup window will close.
- Go back to Acctivate and the Configure QB Merchant Service Connection window. Paste the connection ticket into the Connection Ticket field. Either click the paste icon, or right-click and select paste (or press Ctrl-V).
- Click the Save button. You have now successfully configured the QuickBooks Merchant Service Connection
Credit Card Security Options in Acctivate and QuickBooks
Acctivate User permissions
Each user you want to permit to process credit cards must be configured in the Configuration Manager.
- Inside Configuration Manager open User > User Information.
- Select the user that you wish to grant or remove the ability to process credit cards.
- Expand the Order Processing subfolder for that user.
- Select Process Credit Cards. This is a Yes and No drop-down list.
- If a change is necessary, click the Edit button, make the change and then Save.
Security Options in QuickBooks
In QuickBooks the appropriate preferences must be selected, so that stored credit card numbers can synchronize to Acctivate.
- Open QuickBooks in single-user mode and select Edit > Preferences.
- From the Preferences window select Integrated Applications, then select the Company Preferences tab.
- From the "Applications that have previously requested access to this company file" section, select Acctivate then click the Properties button.
- In the Properties window > Access Rights tab check the box that reads, “Allow this application to access Social Security Numbers, customer credit card information, and other personal data”. Click OK to save the changes.