Certain versions of QuickBooks require Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 (or later). During the Acctivate installation, we sometimes update the QBFC component of QuickBooks which can prompt this version check.
Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 Error Received During Install
Certain versions of QuickBooks require Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 (or later). During the Acctivate installation, we sometimes update the QBFC component of QuickBooks which can prompt this version check. The error in its entirety is below:
"Acctivate requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later. Please install it, then restart this setup program after the Internet Explorer setup restarts your computer."
There are a few reasons why one may receive this error message when attempting to install Acctivate:
- The version of Internet Explorer installed on the computer is earlier than version 6.0.
- To resolve this, go to Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off. Enable "Internet Explorer 11" and restart the workstation.
- The problem is due to missing or incorrect App Paths in the registry for iExplorer.exe
- Backup Windows Registry.
- Update the data values to use the (x86) directory instead. It should match the example below afterwards.
- Registry path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE
- Restart the computer for changes to take effect.
- Note: Incorrect changes to registry settings can cause serious system problems that may be irreversible without reinstallation of the operating system. This article is intended for IT Professionals or advanced Windows Users.
QuickBooks also has a community post outlining the steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks Desktop and Internet Explorer settings here.