“Invalid procedure call or argument” on any Acctivate lookup window
UPDATE (Aug 14, 2019):This problem was first resolved in Acctivate 10.3 sp7. Please install the latest update from our Downloads page on your server.
UPDATE 2 (Aug 15, 2019): Microsoft is investigating the problem according to KB4512488. The Acctivate development team is still looking for more instances of this error. Some customers have reported problems when creating individual sales invoices. We’ll publish an update very soon.
UPDATE 3 (Aug 15, 2019): We just published a new Acctivate 10.3 SP 7 containing fixes for all reported problems. You can download the latest update from our Downloads page on your server now.
On August 13th, Microsoft started pushing out a cumulative update for Windows. This update appears to break a common windows component that's used by Acctivate when opening the lookup windows and getting a list of records. Users will receive an exception:
Invalid procedure, call or argument
As far as we are aware, currently, all versions of Windows that are still supported by Microsoft are affected by the August 2019 cumulative update.
For Windows 10 users, the update will appear as:
- 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508)
- 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4511553)
- 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4512501)
For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 & 2012 users, the update will appear as:
- Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4512506)
For those customers who are not able to update Acctivate at this time, simply roll back the installation of the cumulative update until Microsoft can fix the bug. Here's how you can uninstall the update:
- Press Win+I to open the Settings app.
- Choose Update and Security
- Click the Update History link.
- Click the Uninstall Updates link.
- Find the cumulative update from 2019-08 for Windows.
- Click the Uninstall button that appears on the toolbar.
- Complete the uninstall process.