Information on moving database files to a different drive or partition on your server.
Move Acctivate SQL Server Database Files
Moving your database files to a different drive or partition should only be performed by a system administrator. You can use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio in order to prepare the database to be moved.
We highly recommend you back up your databases before you proceed.
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio on the server, which is usually located on the Start menu, under All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server
- Please refer to this article if you don’t see Management Studio on your server
- When the login Screen appears, select the “Instance” of SQL Server that Acctivate is running on (e.g. SERVER\ACCTIVATE).
- You will need to log in using SQL Server authentication using the “sa” account. Please let us know if you do not know the SA password and need assistance.
- Expand the Databases folder on the left in Management Studio
- Right-click ACCTivate$Demo and select Properties
- Select the Files in the list and take note of the Path.
- Right-click ACCTivate$Demo database and select Tasks > Detach then click OK
- The database will be no longer be listed on the SQL Server, but the data files will NOT be deleted
- This allows you to copy the database files to a different directory on the server
- You can now CUT and PASTE the database files to the new directory
- Move BOTH files for each database (e.g., ACCTivate$Demo_data.mdf and ACCTivate$Demo_log.ldf)
- Once you have moved the files, you will now need to reattach the files to SQL Server
- Right-click Databases in Management Studio and Select ‘Attach…’
- Click Add then Browse to the new directory and select your Database MDF file and click OK
- Click OK again to attach the database
- Repeat these steps for each of your databases. You should include the “ACCTivate” database that exists here as well.
If you have an automated backup procedure set up, verify your backup is working properly.