Once the SmartVault integration has been set up, most users do not experience issues, but occasionally SmartVault may return an error when attempting to attach a file from Acctivate.
Troubleshooting SmartVault File Attachment Issues
With the SmartVault addon module for Acctivate, users can attach files to customers, products, business activities and more. Once the SmartVault integration has been set up, most users do not experience issues, but occasionally SmartVault may return an error when attempting to attach a file from Acctivate. Below are a few examples of common messages returned by SmartVault, along with solutions on how to resolve the related issue causing the message to be returned. If you see a message not covered by this article, see SmartVault’s help site or contact our support team.
Message: SmartVault must be integrated into the QuickBooks company file to attach documents.
In order to attach documents to SmartVault from within Acctivate, SmartVault needs to be integrated with QuickBooks. If the above message is returned, you will need to log in to your QuickBooks company file as an administrator and reset the Integrated Applications link with SmartVault. To do this, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to QuickBooks with an Admin account
- Go to File > Switch to Single User mode. This will require other users logged in to QuickBooks to temporarily log out.
- Once QuickBooks is in Single User Mode, go to Edit > Preferences
- Click the Integrated Applications link on the left side of the Preference window, then click the Company Preferences tab.
- Highlight the SmartVault application, then click Remove.
- To re-create the link between SmartVault and Quickbooks, right click the SmartVault icon on your taskbar, then click Sign Out.
- Right click the SmartVault icon again on the taskbar, then click Sign in. You will be prompted to enter your SmartVault username and password.
- After signing in, QuickBooks will prompt to you accept the application certificate for SmartVault. Click “Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running” then Continue. In the next window, click Done.
Message: Failed to attach the document. System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file ‘driverletter:pathtofilefilename.filetype’ because it is being used by another process.
This error message typically displays when you are trying to attach a document that is currently open in another program (i.e., Word or Excel). Make sure that the document you are trying to attach is not open, and if it is, close the document and try the attachment again.
Message: This application is unable to log into this QuickBooks company data file automatically; the QuickBooks Administrator can grant permission through the Integrated Applications preferences.
This error is returned when SmartVault has been integrated with QuickBooks, but the option in the Integrated Application settings to “allow access even if QuickBooks is not running” has not been enabled. To resolve this issue:
- Log in to QuickBooks as an Admin user
- Switch to single user mode
- Go to Edit > Preferences and select Integrated Applications
- Click the Company Preferences tab, select SmartVault, then click Properties
- Check the checkbox next to the setting, “Allow this application to login automatically”, then click “OK”.