Download the Mobile Web Service and the Mobile Client installati
Acctivate Mobile includes two software components.
- Acctivate Mobile Web Service installed on the computer running Acctivate
- Acctivate Mobile Client installed on a Windows Mobile device
It is unnecessary to purchase a Windows Mobile device for testing and/or evaluation purposes. Microsoft provides a Windows Mobile emulator that allows you to view the Acctivate Mobile software without a mobile device. However, you cannot emulate a bar code scanner in the Windows Mobile emulator. Acctivate Mobile is designed to work with or without a scanner, but you may find this is not an authentic experience without a scanner.
Use the following instructions to install and configure the emulator to run Acctivate Mobile on a Windows 7 Professional PC. The procedure is similar for Windows XP and Vista, but you may find the options are labeled differently.
1. Internet Information Services (IIS)
By default, Windows does not install the web server component, Internet Information Services. You must install this component prior to installing Acctivate mobile.
- Click Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel
- Click Turn Windows features on or off
- Check the box adjacent to Internet Information Services
- Expand the list below Internet Information Services
- Expand the Web Management Tools list
- Check the box adjacent to IIS 6 Management Compatibility
- Click OK to close the dialog.
- You may be prompted to restart Windows. Please follow any on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
- Test your IIS / web server install by first determining your computer name
- From the Windows Start Menu, right-click Computer and select Properties
- In the Computer name, domain and workgroup settings section, you’ll see the Computer name
- Write down your computer name, you’ll need that a few times throughout the install.
- Open a web browser and confirm that http://computername displays a welcome message.
- Any web server (IIS) errors should be resolved before continuing with the Acctivate Mobile install
2. Acctivate Mobile Web Service
First, you must download and install the Acctivate Mobile Web Service. The installer is located on the Downloads and Updates page on the Acctivate support website at http://help.acctivate.com/downloads/
Please refer to the Installatihttp://computername/on Guide that is available on the Downloads page for more information, but the default installation options are sufficient for most scenarios.
Confirm the Acctivate Web Service Status page is visible at http://computername/accthandheld before continuing. Any Acctivate mobile installation issues should be resolved before continuing.
3. Windows Firewall
By default, Internet Information Services (i.e., web server) is blocked by the Windows Firewall. You must add an Exception to the Windows Firewall for this service to access it from the Windows Emulator and/or other computers on the network.
- Click System and Security in the Windows Control Panel
- Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall
- Click the Change settings button
- Scroll down the list to locate World Wide Web Services (HTTP)
- Check all boxes for World Wide Web Services (HTTP) and click OK to close the window
- Confirm the web service is accessible from another computer(if available)
- Open a web browser from another computer on the network
- Enter http://computername/accthandheld in the Address bar (replacing computername)
- Confirm the Acctivate Web Server Status page is displayed.
Microsoft has published instructions to Open a port in Windows Firewall. This article may help to create an Inbound Rule if you have trouble with the instructions above.
4. Windows Mobile Emulator
Download and install the Windows Mobile Emulator 3.0 from Microsoft .
Be sure to select the proper emulator based on your edition of Windows (i.e. 32 or 64-bit OS). To determine which version of Windows you’re running, open the Windows Start Menu, right-click Computer and select Properties. In the System section, you’ll see the System Type.
- vs_emulator.exe on a 32-bit Operating System
- vs_emulator_x64_vista.exe on a 64-bit Operating System
5. Windows Mobile Emulator Images
The Windows Mobile Emulator is a device emulator, but does not include an operating system. You must also download the Windows Mobile operating system image files from Microsoft.
Acctivate Mobile supports the Professional edition of Windows Mobile. Download and install the Windows Mobile 6.5 Developer Tool Kit from Microsoft.
Download and install the Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional Developer Tool Kit (USA).msi file only.
6. Windows Virtual Machine Network Driver
Acctivate Mobile requires a network connection between the Windows Mobile device and the Acctivate web service. The device emulator uses the virtual NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter to connect to the network.
Windows 7 does not include support for the virtual network driver by default. You must install the Virtual Network Driver for your Windows network adapter.
- Download the Windows Virtual Machine Network Driver: VMNetSrv.zip
- Extract the contents of the VMNetSrv.zip file to a new folder on your desktop
- Click View network status and tasks in the Windows Control Panel
- Click Change adapter settings in the list on the left
- Right-click on Local Area Connection (or your primary network connection) and choose Properties
- Click the Install… button
- Select Service then click Add…
- Click Have Disk… the Browse… to the folder where you extracted the contents from the VMNetSrv.zip file
- Select the VMNetSrv.inf file and click Open then click OK
- Select Virtual Machine Network Services and click OK
- Close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog
7. Configure the Windows Mobile Emulator
By default, the Windows Mobile Emulator is not configured to support network applications. You must configure the network settings in both the emulator and within Windows Mobile to connect to the Internet.
- Start the Windows Mobile Emulator from the Windows Start menu at:
All Programs -> Windows Mobile 6 SDK -> Standalone Emulator Images -> US English -> WM 6.5 Professional
- Choose File -> Configure… in the WM 6.5 Professional emulator window
- On the Network tab, check the Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to: box
- Click OK to close the Emulator Properties window
- In Windows Mobile, click the network connection icon, which appears as a “tower” icon at the top of the screen
- Leave the default setting as The Internet and click Connect at the bottom
8. Acctivate Mobile Client
The Acctivate Mobile client software is a native Windows Mobile/CE application. It must be installed on the device before you can run Acctivate.
- Open Internet Explorer from the Start Menu in Windows Mobile
- Type the URL to the Acctivate Web Service at http://computername/accthandheld (replacing computername)
NOTE: You may need to use the IP address for the computer as opposed to the computer name, if the computer name doesn’t work.
- You may need to double-click within the web page to zoom to full size.
- Scroll down page and click the Install link
- Click “here” link to download the Acctivate Mobile client installer
- Choose Save (bottom left) when prompted, What would you like to do with this file?
- Leave the default options for the Save As dialog and click Save
- Close Internet Explorer by clicking the round ball icon to show the menu bar
- From the Windows Mobile Start Menu, scroll down through the menus and click File Explorer
- Click ACCTivateInstaller.exe, the last item in the list and the installer will begin
- Click the OK button ONCE (top right) for each message confirming that a component was installed successfully.
NOTE: Be careful not to click the X button after clicking OK
- Click OK to dismiss the Install complete message
- Close File Explorer by clicking the X button at the top-right of the screen
9. Using Acctivate Mobile
Acctivate Mobile is launched from the Start menu in Windows Mobile. The app can be terminated via the Menu (bottom left) from most screens in Acctivate Mobile.
You must properly close the Windows Mobile Emulator to ensure that the Acctivate Mobile Client installation is not lost.
- Close the Acctivate Mobile app after each session. Use the Menu -> Exit option or return to the Login window and click Cancel
- Simply close the WM 6.5 Professional window to shut down the emulator.
- CLICK YES when prompted to save the emulator state.
- This option is critical, to ensure that your Acctivate Mobile Client install is not lost.
- However, you may choose to Clear Saved State from the File menu to restore back to a clean Windows Mobile install.