While there are differences between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop, very few differences affect Acctivate. Please take a look at the information below for more on this topic.
Acctivate syncs with QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop. Please work with your QuickBooks Pro Advisor to see if switching to QuickBooks Online suits your company. Review our QBO vs QBD consideration article and our article on options for a new QuickBooks file.
Though there are differences between QuickBooks Online (QBO) and QuickBooks Desktop (QBD), very few differences affect Acctivate. The differences that impact Acctivate are the following:
- Acctivate syncs with most versions of QuickBooks Desktop edition. Acctivate syncs with the Plus and Advanced editions of QuickBooks Online.
- Acctivate syncs with QuickBooks Online automatically in the background to sync the changes immediately between QuickBooks and Acctivate. This is different from the manual sync for QuickBooks Desktop. QBD sync requires a user to push the sync button to start the sync.
- QuickBooks field definitions vary between the Online and Desktop version. The main differences in the Lists that affect Acctivate are:
- Payment Terms: QBO does not support automatic payment discounts based on Terms.
- Sales Reps: QBO does not have salespeople. Instead, QBO uses an Employee list that syncs into Acctivate.
- Vendor Type: QBO does not have a Vendor Type. All Vendors sync into Acctivate.
- QBO requires a tax exemption reason when a customer is set to use a non-taxable tax code.
- QBO is designed to be used with one default accounts receivable account. This default account is assigned to all branches in Acctivate. QuickBooks Desktop supports multiple accounts receivable accounts that can be assigned per branch in Accitvate.
- QBO is designed to be used with one default accounts payable account. QuickBooks Desktop supports multiple accounts payable accounts which can be toggled in Acctivate.
There may be other differences between QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online, but these key differences impact how Acctivate works with QuickBooks. However, most of the differences between QuickBooks Online and Desktop do not impact Acctivate outside of the initial Acctivate company creation and sync.
Please note this is not an exhaustive list of differences that may affect Acctivate. This list discusses the most impactful differences between the types of QuickBooks. For further questions on the differences between QuickBooks Desktop and Online please work with QuickBooks Support or your QuickBooks Pro Advisor.