Within the Edit Product window, set the Bill of Materials type to be "Assembly (Custom)". Next, add a list of default components under the Components tab. Mark any products that can be modified or removed in an assembly to be "Variable".
The Custom / Process Manufacturing add-on module is designed to manage the design, specifications and production of configurable products. It allows a configurable bill of material (BOM) to be easily established for custom built products, which can be adjusted appropriately to record the actual build. This article covers creation of the Custom Assembly item.
Acctivate supports both build-for-stock and build-to-order manufacturing. This article focuses on build-for-stock inventory using Custom Assemblies. Build-to-order manufacturing is accommodated by Custom Kits.Creating an Assembly (Custom) Product
- Select Inventory > Product Information from the Acctivate desktop or click the Producticon to open the Product Information window.
- Click the New button.
- In the Product ID field enter a product ID for the new product.
- In the Description field enter a description for the product.
- Fill in all the remaining required fields which are highlighted in Edit mode for new items.
- Set the Bill of Materials field to Assembly (Custom). Custom Assemblies are a part of the Variable Build add-on module.
- To add a warehouse, click the Add Warehouse button in the Inventory tab.
- Select the appropriate warehouse from the drop down menu in the Add Product to Warehouse window followed by Add.
- Repeat this step for each warehouse, if you will have multiple warehouses.
- In the Components tab of this new product, the various pieces need to be entered line-by-line with a quantity set for each item. These items must exist in the Acctivate database to be added as a component. Mark any component that can be removed or modified on the assembly itself as Variable. The Labor component is marked as variable in the below screen shot since it could take longer than an hour to build the item, but no more/less legs or table tops.
- When all the components have been added to the assembly product, click the Savebutton. We now have a new Table Assembly (Custom) item.
Check out this article for information on how to build the custom assembly into stock.